Sunday, January 23, 2011

Raw Blender Salsa



I'm pretty stoked about this recipe. I've adapted it from an old standby that I've used many a time, but in an effort to include more raw food in my diet, I wanted to switch it up a bit. Following completion of this recipe, I was challenged to my first cooking duel! Cool! A buddy of mine rang me shortly after taking the photo for this dish, and in a burst of excitement over how tasty it was, I told him all about it. Immediately following this, I received my glove slap. Apparently, someone thinks that their raw salsa is the bees-knees of the Central American standby. We'll see about that. The event has been deemed "The Salsa-off". In my minds-eye, this is how it will go down...

Scene 1:  Two spot-lights hypnotically come to their full brightness as Europe's "The Final Countdown" blares in an anthem of culinary glory, illuminating not only the rival salsa chefs, but also the unmistakable air of the unknown. (We're leaving together, but still it's farewell!) The rivals size up their salsa preparation area. (And maybe we'll come ba-a-ack, to Earth, who can tell?) First off the blocks, Mike grabs his 7" Henckel Miyabi Morimoto 600MC series Chef's knife, which he just got for Christmas, firmly by the handle. (I guess there is no one to blame!) His competitor fumbles for a tomato (we're leaving ground!), no, an onion (leaving ground!), NO, where is his knife!? (Will things ever be the same again?) Mike's eyes set into a dedicated focus, and as he exhales, he makes his first slice. (It's the Final Countdown! Dunna dun dun. Dunna dun dun dun. Dunna dun dun. Dunna dun dun dun dun dun)

Scene 2:  Neck in neck, both in efficiency and deliciousness, the rivals begin to make their final additions to their creations. One final glance... a fleeting moment of unknowing caution and glorious hope is shared between the competitors. If this were a period-drama, a woman in a fancy hat has just fainted.

Commercial Break:  "This presentation is brought to you by American processed cheddar. Now with more sodium!!"

Scene 3:  Mike looks on as the panel of judges (yet to be determined) sample his competitors's version of raw salsa. Their eyes light up in a gesture of appreciation and pleasure. Dammit, his rival has done well. But wait, whats this!? As Mike's salsa begins to make the rounds, judge after judge begins to stream tears of joy and pain as their tongues burn with the fires of hell and their hearts sore with all the pride of a grade 7 band parent. This... this is the salsa they have been waiting for. Victory! (Cue: confetti cannon)

Well, now that I've talked it up to this degree, I hope you bloody-well like it!


Raw Blender Salsa

4 roma tomatoes
1/2 medium red onion
2 cloves organic garlic
2-3 large serrano peppers (including seeds)
1 small red pepper
1/2 lime
1/4 cup cilantro - chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
ground sea salt
fine ground white pepper
(optional: 1/2 cup pineapple - chopped)


1. Give 3 of the roma tomatoes, the red onion, organic garlic, serrano peppers and half of the red pepper a few good token chops. If you have decided to use the optional pineapple as well, include 1/4 cup of the pineapple. Place these ingredients into your blender, and blend well. (Note: I use The Magic Bullet for this because it acts as quite the little food processor. My kick-ass brother got it for me for Christmas, and it has become the single most heavily used appliance in my kitchen. It only has one speed: decimation. If you're using The Magic Bullet, you will need the longer container that doesn't have a handle).  

2. Once well blended, add the juice from 1/2 of a lime, the cilantro and cumin. Blend it well. 

3. Poor the salsa mixture into a sealable container. Take the remaining roma tomato, 1/2 red onion and optional 1/4 cup pineapple, and finely chop. Once chopped, add to the salsa mixture, and mix well. 

4. Add ground sea salt and fine ground white pepper to taste. 

5. Add a 2-3" stem of cilantro as a pompous garnish.

6. Consume. 


Just a few quick notes about this recipe. As you have probably noticed, the recipe is raw, vegan and gluten/dairy/yeast-free. Score. For this batch of salsa, I used 3 very large, organic serrano peppers and it was pretty damn hot, which I love. Any time that I've found serrano peppers up here, they're incredibly tiny, and you will likely need 4-6 peppers to recreate that heat. If you are living in Whitehorse, there is a local vendor at the Thursday Fireweed Market in the summers who sells them, and they're fantastic. 

I love a little pineapple in salsa, because it adds a nice sweetness that is an undertone to the peppers. I couldn't find it at the grocery store this time, not that I'm surprised or anything. I mention this, and include the pineapple as optional because without the pineapple, the salsa was still really damn tasty. 

Alright kids, my skis are staring at me from across the room and I can't say no to their beckon any longer. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment